The European Association of Long-Term Investors (ELTI)
Launched in Paris after the publication of the European Commission Green Paper on the Long-Term financing of the European Economy, in July 2013, the European Long-Term Investors Association (ELTI) gathers 28 European long-term financial institutions. With a combined balance sheet of € 1.7 trillion, ELTI’s goal is to promote long-term investment in close alignment with the objectives and initiatives developed by the European Union to foster sustainable, smart and inclusive growth and job creation.
A Visible Stakeholder
Four and half years since its inception, ELTI has concretised its role as a visible stakeholder which represents, at both European and National levels, the position of its current 28 members, which are notably made up of National Promotional Banks and Institutions (NPBI).
Major strengths of the association include The its ability to prepare common positions sharing a single voice when communicating with the institutions of the European Union and the possibility of exchanging with other members and International Financial Institutions including European Investment Bank, Council of Europe Development Bank, and the Nordic Investment Bank.
ELTI members represent a European-wide network of National Promotional Banks and Institutions who offer financial solutions tailored to the specific needs of their respective country and economy. Multilateral financial institutions complement the activities at national level with specific cross-boarder solutions or investments with an European impact.
Following the specific public mission of each member, the business model of each institution differs from country to country including different products and approaches. This is the same for multilateral ELTI members. Most of the members offer various debt-products but not all members have a mandate for investment in equity. This ensures that specific needs are adressed by a specific solution notably for investments where a “one-size-fits-all” approach does not lead to optimal solutions.
The Association promotes and attracts quality long- term investment in the real economy, including:
- strengthening cooperation, including at an operational level, between European financial institutions as well as with other Institutions of the European Union (EU) acting as long-term financiers;
- informing the EU and its Institutions on the role and potential of the Members as institutions and agencies for long-term financing;
- strengthening the access of the Members to information on matters related to the EU;
- exchanging information and experiences among Members and with national and international organisations sharing the Association’s interest in the promotion of long-term investment;
- developing the concept of long-term investment within the economic and financial sector and promoting academic research on long-term investments;
- representing, promoting and defending the shared interests of its Members in the field of Long-Term Investment in full transparency.
The Full Members of ELTI are generally national official financial institutions dedicated to the promotion of public policies at national and EU level. The European Investment Bank (EIB) has the status of a permanent observer. ELTI also includes Associate Members notably multilateral financial institutions, regional financial institutions and non-banking institutions.